Celiac disease is described as a condition whereby the lining of the small intestine is damaged so parts of food cannot be absorbed. The damage is believed to be caused by the consumption of gluten, which causes reaction in some people. Gluten can be found in food items like barley, rye, wheat, and maybe even oats. Since a lot of vitamins and minerals are not absorbed by the body, people with celiac disease can suffer from bruises easily, depression, fatigue, hair loss, mouth ulcers, missed menstrual periods, seizures, and more. Unfortunately, there’s still no cure for celiac disease. The only known method to deal with celiac disease is to maintain a gluten-free diet for the entire life. If you adhere to the diet, the symptoms of celiac disease will fade away. The important thing is to develop a positive outlook and go on living as fully as possible. Here’s a collection of comprehensive resources to help you along.
- Celiac Disease: A great overview with definition, causes, symptoms, complications, treatment, and more.
- More on Celiac Disease: Presents information such as symptoms, causes, diagnosis, treatment, screening, and so on.
- What is Celiac Disease?: An excellent introduction for younger people.
- Understanding Celiac Disease: Outlines the basic aspects of celiac disease.
- Disease Information: Another place where children can learn about celiac disease.
Celiac Disease Publications
- Self Help Books: A good number of books on celiac disease and gluten-free diet.
- Celiac Books: Provides books on help and advice, cooking and recipes, medical research, and more.
- Celiac Disease: Publishes the latest news and featured articles on celiac disease.
- Living Without: A special magazine for people who have allergies and food sensitivities, including people with celiac disease.
- Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic: The book by Peter Green and Rory Jones provides a deeper look at the disease.
Celiac Disease Research
- Celiac Center: The Celiac Research Center at the University of Maryland is dedicated to improving the lives of celiac disease patients.
- Wm. K. Warren Medical Research Center: The celiac disease research center at UCSD.
- Research: A number of research reports offered by the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness.
- Related Research: Discusses some of the research projects which are related to celiac disease.
- Celiac Disease Center: The center at the University of Chicago is a groundbreaking research facility in the United States.
Celiac Disease FAQ
- Celiac FAQ: A good number of questions on the subject of celiac disease.
- Frequently Asked Questions: The University of Columbia provides answers to some of the most commonly asked questions.
- What Is It?: Provides answers to some basic questions about celiac disease.
- FAQs: More frequently asked questions about celiac disease.
- School Lunch: Some questions on school lunch for children who are suffering from celiac disease.
What is Gluten Free?
- All Recipes: Provides a great number of healthy gluten-free recipes for all occasions.
- More Recipes: Come here to find gluten-free recipes with awesome photos.
- 101 Cookbooks: A lot of interesting gluten-free recipes for everyone.
- Glutenfreeda: Possibly the best place to look for gluten-free recipes on the Internet.
- Simply Recipes: Do you fancy Albondigas Soup, Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast, Apricot Chicken, and Artichoke Soup?
Gluten-Free Grains and Flours
- Glossary: A good starting place to learn all about gluten-free grains and flours.
- Baking & Bread: Here’s list of gluten-free flours and grains suitable for baking and bread.
- Flours: Provides a list of gluten-free and wheat-free flours.
- Grains & Flour: Another list of gluten-free grains and flour.
- Grains: A number of gluten-free grains and their products.
Safe and Un-Safe Gluten-Free Foods & Ingredients
How to Travel Gluten-Free
- Baking Basics: A great place to learn about the basics of gluten-free baking.
- Pulses: Provides tips for cooking with lentils, peas, beans, and chickpeas.
- Breads: Come here to find a number of gluten-free bread recipes.
- Gluten-Free Pasta: Offers step-by-step instructions on making gluten-free pasta.
- Baking: Shows the way to do gluten-free baking with sorghum.
Nowadays, a gluten-free lifestyle is getting more popular all around the world. There are so many resources to help celiac disease patients live a gluten-free life.